Monday, June 3, 2013

Mark Will Leave the Pole Spinning process writing

First and foremost, I had a great time writing this piece and I am really happy with how it turned out.  I listened to what Marin said about deeper reportage and really tried to include a lot of sources in this draft.  I also really avoiding the "summary" style of profile (see my first draft of Jerry Vincent in Kalamazoo for an example of this).  Using many sources and observing more human interaction between my subject and others really gave this piece more depth.

That being said, there were a few issues.  Namely, once I got there Mark insisted that he not be recorded.  Initially I thought my piece was tanked and that I would have to start over but in the end it wound up being ok.  I just had to take very careful notes and make sure I got quotes directly from pen to paper.

Having all these notes made the writing of the individual sections of this piece very easy, and I knew what the lede was but I just had a hard time linking them, in proces.  I also had a difficult tome closing the piece.  Like I said though, I am happy with it, especially for a first draft.

As far as the next step of this project is concerned, I am going to interview Mark's apprentice Andrew and use his voice instead.  Both Mark and Andrew have agreed to this and are happy.

Over and out,

Woody

No comments:

Post a Comment