Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Week 3 reading post

I sat down today, lugging the many enormous volumes of Literary Journalism behind me, dreading the mind numbing, finger slicing pages I would have to read about "How to Write Narrative Journalism."  I was soon there after pleasantly surprised to know my worry was for naut, and that I would be reading some stories instead.  I'm not sure why I did this but I took note of how Marin chose to assign these two pieces (reverse page order), and flipped it.  Reading The American Man at Age Ten first and Trina and Trina second.  I note this because after finishing TAMAT I was left with a distinct feeling of disappointment.  Not overwhelming disappointment, but disappointment in the sense that I wanted some dramatic turn.  I wanted something to happen, which I'm not sure it did.  The twist or drama I wanted came shortly thereafter however with TAT.  However, again, their wasn't a turn in this story for me as well.  In fact, I think the fact that neither had a turn was the only united factor I could find.  If we are talking binaries though, I thought these two made an excellent coupling. TAMAT is a story of hope, a chronicle or reminder of sorts of the childish innocence that lives within each of us, while TAT was a crippling story of loss of innocence and in the end, hopelessness (abandonment).  Regardless of the nothings I've just shouted into cyber space, I enjoyed reading both of these pieces.  I found them simple and compelling.  Both authors pulled us through the piece with clean imagery and "factual" speech (for lack of a better phrase).  Neither employed much drama, yet there pieces had power and left the reader still thinking long after they are done.  I know this is not a very poignent post but I'm not sure what more to say or what more I am required/ need to say.  I think this will do ok.  Blog over.

2 comments:

  1. Woody,

    First off, I love that you abbreviated the stories, TAMAT and TAT. Brilliant addition to your post.

    Secondly, I understand your point about the no action or twist. But, when you're doing profiles, what can you expect? You're not writing about an event, you're writing about a person. I wonder if it was these two specific profiles that you didn't enjoy or if you just won't like profiles in general because there's a lack of action.

    Have you considered how you want to write your profile differently? Will you try and include a running story alongside the development of your character? How will you keep yourself interested while writing?

    ReplyDelete