Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Week 4 response: Franklin Outlines.


            I roll my eyes at textbooks, or rather textbook authors, who try to fight against the monotony of instruction through "voice."  I find it really contrived.  Or at least, I did.  I discredited the first pages of Franklin’s book for this reason.  I regret doing that and even though they are only a few short pages, I will go back and reread them.  What I am trying to say is that this text was the first “stylized textbook” that I connected with and actually truly enjoyed. 
            You asked us to focus Franklin’s chapter on outline, so that is where I will focus my reflection.  Although, this is the section that I found most informative or “inspiring”, so I probably would have focused on it regardless.  I have never outlined before, not even in school when it was “required” did I outline.  I didn’t realize until now exactly why this was, and incidentally how useful outlining can be.  I think the true genius in Franklin's method is in the fact that his outlines are not detailed maps, showing you the exact route, but rather strategic reminders that allow you to rediscover your writing several times over the course of the writing process.  His simplified form isn’t necessarily “easier” it’s just streamlined.  Streamlined in a way that allows it to cut through the often incredibly unstreamlined nature of the creative mind.  I think it also offers real value in that it is applicable to almost any piece of writing.  Some forms obviously require more tweaking than others, and this tweaking could result in either a more narrative or a more journalistic piece, but regardless this outlining will strengthen the piece.  While I realize I could have you used Franklin’s outlining style for this blog post, and it probably would have been better, I did not.  I plan on starting to outline my work before, or shortly after, I start writing.  This will cut back on the shitty nature of first drafts and serve to keep my later drafts self-discovering. 

TL:DR?  Franklin is awesome, and outlining sucks unless you do it his way.  I will begin outlining everything immediately.  

5 comments:

  1. I had a very similar reaction. I was quite surprised at how much I found myself enjoying reading a "stylized textbook," as you put it. I also rarely use outlines, and this piece made me realize outlines are crucial. Judging by a lot of other reading responses, a lot of other people have similar opinions. How odd that so many people have been convinced to do a thing they had previously thought unnecessary...

    I'm really looking forward to having an easier time with first drafts, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I was also surprised to see how many people admitting to hating outlines. I agree with you Woody about Franklin's outlines not being "detailed maps, showing you the exact route, but rather strategic reminders that allow you to rediscover your writing several times over the course of the writing process." I thought about the exact same thing. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ameen, woody. up until this year, maybe the end of last year,i had never done an outline for any essay, no matter how long. it is remarkably like trying to find a city without a map, sometimes you eventually get there and succeed, but if you look back at the path you traveled it's a complete mess. i tried to start writing my piece for 6th week, but without an outline it is far too "ah this is interesting and here's why facts facts quotes facts this is interesting my emotions blah blah."

    the conclusion to this post is that, even if i outline my own way (I hate the man tryin' to keep me down) it's much better to do so than not to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Franklin's outline is amazing for a particular kind of story. It doesn't work for everything. But it's an amazing thing to have in your toolbox and can revolutionize your approach and your storytelling.

    Glad you got past the petty annoyances. He does, at times, come off as a dick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on so many level in your outlook before reading the book and your response after you had read it. I am curious to know more about what you expected from an story writing book and how this book fulfilled this prophecy or came to surprise you. I think the highlight of the whole text for me was the outlining process. I am interested to see how using that changes our Personal Essays. And of course, I am looking forward to talking more about this text in class.

    ReplyDelete