Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Jerry Vincent in Kalamazoo Final Draft in Process writing



            So, I use the term “Final Draft” in its loosest sense.  Writing this piece has been a struggle for me since day one, and I don’t think that I am the only one.  Initially I struggled with defining the genre I was writing in, then when I finally thought I had captured it, we get our first drafts back and I find out I was way off.  I once again grappled with what defining what I was writing, and right when I needed help most, DOGL happened (no regrets, just a little frustrating).  Now I am left with something I am not necessarily comfortable handing in but with no other options.  I think with one more workshop (in class, not online) I could push this piece to the next level. 
            All of this is of course also on top of all of the access and time issues I had with writing this profile.  My subject was unwilling to discuss many aspects of his life and despite our prior relationship I did not feel comfortable publishing information I learned a year ago.  Many others were either unresponsive or fully declined being interviewed. 
            I know these issues are all par for the course in Journalism, they just became very frustrating when coupled with the time and scheduling conflicts we faced.  In one more revision I would be happy and I know this piece could be, but unfortunately the piece goes on print tonight at five so whatever is there is there despite what a whiny writer has to say about it.  

1 comment: