Wednesday, May 29, 2013

NYT Profile. 9th week.

Hello friends,


http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/fashion/25Snooki.html?pagewanted=all


This isn't necessarily the best profile I found or have read, in fact, I think some of the profiles I have read in this class are better than this one.  That being said though, I think there is a lot to be discussed about this profile.  It uses many different sources, that vary in relationships to Snooki (personal, business  etc), which is something that helped me because I was struggling with that idea prior to this article.  I also think the author's presence in this profile is incredibly interesting.  She inserts herself in a way that says one thing, while writing a piece with a tone that says something else.  It is tough to describe and I hope more people read this one so we can discuss.  In any event it's not very long and we can read it in class.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Woody,

    This is a really interesting profile, especially because we read about Snooki through the lens of her father/manager. Those are two very interesting perspectives that provide really unique characterization of her. All of the things we've found unique and strong about a lot of the profiles we've read seem to be here, too.
    I especially love the part about having a conversation with Snooki... it brings her from a distant, filtered star like figure, to being described in a personal, perhaps vulnerable setting. I also love how at the end, they point to her character as just "being herself".
    see you in a bit!

    ReplyDelete