Monday, May 6, 2013

Piece two: Jerry Vincent in Kalamazoo


Jerry Vincent in Kalamazoo
Woody Tauke
1053 words
New York Times Magazine

In 1970, at 19, as the reality of the Vietnam War was just beginning to permeate US culture, Jerry Vincent enlisted in the Air Force and left his home and family in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  Today, 43 years later, he and I sit in a crowded painters office, surrounded on four sides by ceiling high shelves, covered with years and years worth of paint cans, on the campus of a tiny liberal arts college in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  I have known Jerry for close to a year now, he smiles often, speaks very slowly, and closes his eyes to tell me the stories of his life.  One, like this city, his home, caught in transit.  

            The idea of enlisting in the Vietnam War, in retrospect, seems reckless, foolish, some might even say suicidal yet Jerry spoke coolly of the decision, “I was on the verge of being drafted, I’d received a notification and at that point you can either be drafted, or you can join and I said ‘Well, I really don’t want to be cannon fodder at this time because if you were drafted at that time you were in the army.  You were a bush beater.  You were canon fodder.  So I joined the Air Force.”  After his enlistment, Jerry was packed up and shipped to Texas (*) for basic training.  In those short six weeks he was promoted to Squad Leader, faced down Vietnam era army bullies, and intimately learned the frustrations of dealing with less than objective leadership,  “I almost managed to graduate top of the class but there was this Staff Sargent there and,” Jerry recalls with confidence, “—he says to me ‘Ya know, actually you were gonna be the top of the class but I fudged the test just to give him the top of the class because it looks good on his resume because he’s going to be career and you’re not.”

            The Air Force then flew Jerry, and the rest of his graduating class, to Grand Forks, North Dakota, in the middle of winter for technical training.  He chuckles at the thought, “It was fucking freezing.”  After six more long weeks of having to, “learn all these forms and requirements and regulations regarding the process and the means to do the shipping of people and things” he once again graduated and, in may of 1971, was shipped away.  Jerry is sent to war.  Maybe war is a stretch, but he was sent to the “tropical paradise” of Thailand (*), where he spent is service, “—moving people and their personal household goods around the world.”

            Jerry only spoke briefly of his time abroad, he seemed to dance around the subject, and it was only in that brief moment when his demeanor changed, his face darker, his voice more jaded.  Not uncomfortable, but bitter.  The conversation progressed, briefly we would later touch on his time in Vietnam, hinting at things the US army probably wouldn’t approve of me publishing, but never directly addressing the experience. 

            1975 was a big year for Jerry Vincent, namely he returned from war, five years older and with a wealth of stories.  That year he found himself in California, just outside of San Francisco, and spent his time driving up and down the state, going in and out of the cities.  Decompressing from a time that we don’t care to imagine, and many forget about in the day to day.  He spent nearly a month with friends in Denver: Jerry finally relaxed.  He had time to himself, and the opportunity to live with little responsibility, freely, like most young men in their 20s, but instead Jerry returned home.  A place robbed of him, a place that many of us find ourselves away from in that time of life, but one that remains pivotal as an anchor, as a tether to our individual realities.   And this is where we find Jerry today, comfortable and happy in Kalamazoo, Michigan. 

            It was also in 1975 that Jerry met Hans, his now partner of 38 year (*), a German immigrant and hairdresser.   Having just spent the past five years shipping people and things around the world, Jerry found himself a job in the, then booming, travel industry as a travel agent.  For another four years Jerry packed people up and shipped them to places like San Fransisco, Texas, and Thailand.  Exhausted by the frustrations and tedium’s of the industry, “I said fuck this.” and Jerry quit in 1979.  Out of work and with Hans breathing down his neck Jerry begrudgingly went to look for work once again. 

            At a cocktail party one night, after a month of floating around, and Hans getting madder and madder, Jerry met a member of the, “Foreign Study Program, ya know? which is CIP now” who promised him a secretary job.  Jerry came to Kalamazoo College and settled, but not with either the Foreign Study Program or with the CIP.  Instead, Jerry found a niche with Facilities Management as a dorm painter.  Jerry’s father was a professional painter, and Jerry spent his childhood working on and off, with his father.  At FacMan, in the summer of 1990, Jerry developed the student worker program and took twelve student employs with him to renovate Harmon Hall.  For Hans and Jerry, the rest is history. 

            Jerry still employs students and keeps that tiny campus in Kalamazoo looking fresh, and Hans now owns his salon just up the street.  They smoke a lot of cigarettes and live happily together.  Jerry’s mother still lives in Portage, and he helps take care of her several times a week.  While, Jerry has spent the vast majority of his life in Kalamazoo, it’s tough to say whether or not he feels it’s his home.  A boy forced to either give the formative years of his life to his country or die, Jerry seems a little lost, perhaps he is still making up for lost time; a transient being in a transient home.  Perhaps this place holds some calling for him, and he truly is at rest here.  Regardless, Jerry is one of the most interesting individuals I have happened across in my young life, and he still has many things to share with me, and the world. 

People have a lot of stories for those just willing to listen. 

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I'm in your group, Woody, but I figured I'd just keep on a readin'. I enjoy the simple ways you describe Jerry--"they smoke a lot of cigarettes and live happily together" seems so perfect, but almost too much so. You seem to contradict yourself, or at least show the stress of not having a job earlier, but really they were just happy the whole time?

    I wanted more images--of what this cocktail party looked like, this air-base, where he met Hans. It is great you have the information, and this history of his life, but they are spread so thin that they are almost transparent.

    And I think where you do have images your story is the strongest:" Jerry only spoke briefly of his time abroad, he seemed to dance around the subject, and it was only in that brief moment when his demeanor changed, his face darker, his voice more jaded. Not uncomfortable, but bitter." However, right when we, as readers think you are getting close to 'the issue,' we are danced away just as Jerry did. I want to know what the heart of the story is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this piece and I think that you are interviewing a fascinating subject. I enjoyed reading about his life experiences and, by the end, I was hungry for more. I think that this piece may have raised more questions about Jerry than it answered. In the modern context of the recent repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," I know that this would be turning the page back to an absolute ban on gay servicemen. Is this something that he encountered difficulties with? Is his coming out experience something that happens later after he gets back from the war. I really like that his sexual orientation is just another part of him and not a lot is made about it in the piece. But at the same time, I think the reader is going to have a lot more questions. Additionally, you made me curious about what exactly he disclosed about the war. This is still a sensitive subject to the day, but it is something you tease your reader with and do not return to talk about.

    I really like the piece overall and I am interested to know more. I look forward to our discussion in workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Woody,

    This story takes on a very story-esque tone that really carries through to the end. Although you are very explicit when you introduce and conclude about the setting, interview, and what you think of the subject, it didn't bother me. I also enjoyed the trends such as "packing people up and moving them" that you use to tie bits of Jerry's story together.

    There was also a nice balance of quotes and description, but at times the broken quotes inserted into the middle of the sentence were a little distracting... I would just paraphrase those. I would also consider leading the story off dropping the reader right into a scene or event from Jerry's narrative and then introducing from there... if you have a particular captivating scene or thing he told you about, that might be worth playing around with. Great work, I really enjoyed it.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woody,

    First off, you've got an excellent story here. I think you did a great job of painting your subject in a manner that interests readers. Your storytelling ability and tone kept me reading, and the pacing is really good. As structure/reporting goes, I think you're golden. I agree with Zac, the simplicity of your descriptions really gives me a good sense of your subject.

    Lots of really funny moments here--I cracked up at "It was fucking freezing" and the image of Hans getting pissed off and breathing down Jerry's neck.

    I did find myself getting tripped up by your syntax throughout. In general, I think more periods and fewer commas will help this piece flow better, because there are several spots with run-on sentences. There are also a couple of tense changes that need to be smoothed out.

    I also found myself wanting more concrete details or images throughout. I had difficulty with doing this, as well. I think finding a few more images to pepper into the expository passages is a good idea.

    I'm not sure I like the ending, either. It seems like an abrupt left turn away from the focus of the piece, and it also ties things up a bit too neatly for my liking. Maybe end with something more Jerry-centric?

    All in all, I think your writing is super strong when you keep it simple. Keep this as you guiding principle in your revision and I think this piece will get even better.

    Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was drawn in by many of the descriptors and mini-stories that you threw into this piece. The strength seems to lie in those little moments- like when you talk about them smoking cigarettes together, or use quotes which have swear words. Your ability to let us into Jerry's life is commendable.

    The major challenges I think this piece faces are structural. At several points, you use an actual date "1970" to start a description of whats going on. I think you could reverse this, describing a place/ space and then reminding the reader where you are. I think this would not only be a bit more interesting but also fun. Tell us about the travel job Jerry was doing, then explain when this was happening. Just an idea to make the piece read less time-line-y (ish).

    Finally, I agree with Charlotte about moving your dialogue out of paragraph form. You have some great quotes, give us a moment to digest them!

    See you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerry sounds like a really awesome guy to chat with and there is a lot of material for you to work with in this piece. I think that you chose your quotes really well and they helped the story flow along, as well as giving us a little bit of a taste for who Jerry is.

    Reading the piece I saw your main focus as the question of whether or not you can come back from war and still call the place you grew up in, home. I like this idea but I think you could hit it a little harder by describing more of what is was like trying to have a normal job after everything he'd seen and all that. Or you could go a whole different route with it, depending on what your goal was, or what you found most interesting about Jerry.

    I'm also not sure how I feel about you inserting yourself into the piece. I know this happens sometimes in narrative journalism but I think you could easily take yourself out and it wouldn't change the piece very much since it only happens two or three times.

    I really enjoyed reading this and I can't wait to discuss more in class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The introduction of this piece feels very strong to me—you do a lot of work in a short space, and are very clear/open about pieces of exposition that it feels like other people (and I) have been struggling with. Props. Keep that openness consistant by acknowledging your place on campus/in the context of the story. You've known him for a year, but how/why? IDK

    Also, I think making your paragraphs shorter in general will do a lot for the pacing—your material is dense and breaking it up is a small thing that could make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. im writing this as i read your piece, so bear with me. first of all, i think you got the whole storytelling on paper thing. with very minor grammatical things, which i will bring up in clas because here they will just waste space, it is a fluid and fascinating introduction to the subject.

    TALK ABOUT HIS EXPERIENCE IN THE WAR! fuck the government! i think that playing those experiences up and comparing it to his life now, settled, mature, would be awesome. maybe its because i find war stories fascinating, but that i think would only make the happier parts happier, contrasting that with the other material.

    also, maybe a little bit of description of hans would be good, too.

    otherwise, this first draft is leagues above and beyond your last first draft, which was still good. but its clicking, i can tell.

    ReplyDelete